I was so silly at work today, but it’s okay because my manager realises that it was just a mistake and, as she said, we all make mistakes.
It all started when I put Hubby’s air rifle in the car. What? You took a gun to work with you? Why? Well, you know how it is. I was just about to leave for work when I noticed the rifle on top of the wall cupboard and thought ‘gosh, we haven’t used that in a while’ so I got it down to just have a look at it. As I pulled it down the tin of pellets fell down and when I retrieved them I thought I would just see if I could remember how to load the rifle. No problem there, it was just like riding a bike, you never forget once you’ve learned. Well, by then I was running late so I rushed out to the car, forgetting that I had the rifle caught up with my work bags, and that’s how I ended up taking the gun to work with me.
That was only the start of my woes though. I got to work, parked and reached back into the car, grabbed my bags and accidentally picked up the gun. I was halfway across the car park before I realised what I done, thought about turning back and putting it in the boot but I was already late, and my student was waiting for me, so I just carried on into the office. What a laugh! Everyone went silent when I walked in touting my weapon so I thought I would have a bit of fun, ‘yeah, hands up colleagues’ I roared as I hoisted up the rifle and took aim, my finger hesitated, and then I pulled the trigger. I was so surprised when my student squealed, then I realised that the safety hadn’t been on and she had been hit by the pellet I had loaded earlier.
The student was a bit shocked, we’ve given her a couple of days off until the minor wound has stopped oozing and my colleagues were just great and knew that I was only mucking around and would never have deliberately shot anyone. It could happen to anyone and the student was just unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I won’t make that mistake again and I did say sorry to her, I am the consummate professional.
Tongue in cheek.